Tuesday, June 18, 2013

COFFEE, GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU?

It seems there is always a controversy over whether or not one should drink coffee.  My personal feeling on that is my usual mantra, "Everything in moderation."  Always remember to follow your doctor's advice about all foods and beverages.  Another warning, when loaded with creams and sugars coffee may not be such a good thing.  Having said all that, let me pass on some information from David Liebeskind, MD, associate neurology director of the UCLA Stroke Center.

Dr. Liebeskind stated, "People assume that coffee intake is bad, but that's not true at all."  His research has shown that drinking three or more cups of coffee a day reduces stroke risk by 48 percent!  And how about this statistic from the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease that found people who drank three to five cups of coffee a day had a 65 percent lower risk of developing dementia than those who drank little or no coffee.

Personally, I never drank much coffee.  However, after being diagnosed as a diabetic I did a lot of research on nutrition, foods/beverages to consume and foods/beverages not to consume.  My research kept pointing to the fact that coffee drinkers seemed to suffer less from diabetes.  I now drink about three cups of coffee every morning.  My blood sugar is very well controlled and now borders on pre-diabetes/diabetes.  I have made a lot of dietary changes so how much is attributed to coffee I can't say.  But I know I will continue drinking coffee!

I drink my coffee black and you probably should too.  Are you aware a Venti Caffe Mocha from Starbucks made with two-percent milk and whipped cream has 410 calories and 17 grams of fat?  The Center for Science in the Public Interest has called that drink "a Quarter Pounder in a cup."  By contrast a Venti of brewed Starbucks coffee has only 5 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.