Thursday, August 15, 2013

SERVINGS

According to Dr. Oz (I am not a big fan but he does give out some good advice from time to time), people often think they are eating healthy because they are eating healthy foods but fail to realize that overeating even healthy foods is not good.  Here are a couple of guidelines he gives for how much constitutes a serving of some very healthy foods.

  • 1 serving of whole-wheat pasta or brown rice should be about half the size of a baseball.  (I imagine you are eating more than that.  I know I prefer a baseball size serving of pasta!)
  • A serving of fish, chicken, or lean red meat should be about the size of a deck of cards.
  • A serving of raw almonds should be about the size of 1 1/2 golf balls.  I once heard another doctor say 10 raw almonds a day is a good guideline.
Bottom line; just because it is a healthy food doesn't mean you can overindulge!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.