- Start with a whole-grain bread. Never use plain white bread as it is an overly processed unhealthy food.
- Make the main ingredient a healthy protein. Use a lean meat, fish, or other protein not a fatty, unhealthy meat.
- If using cheese, choose a low-fat cheese. Cheese is a good source of calcium, just be sure to use a low-fat variety.
- Add fresh fruit to your sandwich. Thin slices of apple or pear are good options.
- Definitely add some dark leafy greens. Fresh spinach is a great option.
- Beware of the mayo or other fat and/or sugar loaded sauces. Try mustard or hummus. Thin slices of avocado are also a good idea.
Thursday, November 21, 2013
If you are fond of sandwiches or eat more than you would like out of necessity, there are many ways to make sandwiches healthier. Here are a few healthy ideas for your sandwiches: