be helpful information. You might want to only try a small amount first or discuss with your doctor before trying these cheeses!
Here are some facts about cheeses and lactose:
- Cheese doesn't contain as much lactose as other dairy products.
- Most ripened cheeses, ie cheddar and Swiss, contain about 95% less lactose than whole milk.
- Processed cheese, ie American and cream cheese, contain only a small amount of lactose.
- Aged cheeses, ie Parmesan and Romano, contain almost no lactose at all.
- Check the nutrition label on cheese before buying. If the amount of sugar is listed as 0 grams, that cheese contains basically no significant amount of lactose.