- Eat a variety of foods. Do not drop any particular catagory of foods without discussing it with your doctor first.
- Watch your portions. You can eat too much even of a good thing!
- Read food labels. Know what you are eating! Check calories, carbs, protein, fat (avoid trans fats), sodium amounts on everything you buy.
- Eat on a regular basis, no skipping meals.
- Eat small meals several times a day instead of large meals once or twice a day.
- Always eat breakfast. The word breakfast means breaking the fast. This is how your body knows you are up and it needs to leave sleep mode.
- Match the amount you eat to your activity level. Don't eat for mountain climbing if you will be sitting at a desk all day!
By practicing healthy eating habits you will quickly see how easy it is and how much your health (and weight loss is usually an added bonus) improves.