- Taking certain medications and eating too few carbs, or skipping or delaying a meal.
- Taking too much insulin or other diabetes meds, especially without eating.
Here are some of the signs and symptoms of low blood sugar:
- Sweating excessively
- Weak or Tired
- Become nervous or upset
What to do if you suspect you have low blood sugar:
- Check your blood sugar reading right away. If you do not have the means available to check it immediately, treat the symptoms anyway.
How to treat low blood sugar quickly:
- Drink 1/2 cup (4-ounces) of regular fruit juice such as orange, apple, or grape.
- 1/2 cup (4-ounces) of regular soda - NOT diet soda.
- Chew 3 or 4 glucose tablets
- Quickly chew 6 or 6 hard candies - NOT sugar-free
After doing one of the above treatments wait 15 minutes and recheck your blood sugar levels. If they are still low, repeat the treatment. Once the blood sugar level is normalized, eat a meal or at least a snack.
Warning: If low blood sugar is not treated, it can become severe and cause you to pass out.